Recipe: Beer-braised Sausages
Serve sausage with crusty bread or mash. Preparation: 15min. Cooking: 25min. Serves: 4
- 8 quality Beef or Pork Sausages
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 or 2 Leeks, finely sliced
- 1 stalk Celery, sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
- 375ml bottle Lager
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
1. Heat a little of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, prick sausages with a fork and cook until well coloured.
2. Remove sausages from the pan and set aside. Wipe excess fat out of pan with a paper towel.
3. Heat remaining oil in the pan and gently cook carrots, leeks, celery and garlic until tender.
4. Increase the heat and pour in lager and beef stock, allow to boil and reduce by half. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Return sausages to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes.
With thanks to the New Zealand Woman’s Weekly for the original recipe.