Recipe: Italian Roast Leg of Lamb
The gutsy topping on this roast lamb adds a delicious flavour and creates a stunning looking dish. Thanks to our friends at NZ Beef and Lamb for the recipe.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins per 500g
- 1 lean Quality Mark leg of lamb
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp basil paste or 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 150g feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup sundried tomato paste or pesto
- ¼ cup chopped black olives
- 1 Tbsp capers, rinsed
- Few leaves chopped fresh basil or oregano
Pre-heat the oven to 190ºC. Line a baking or roasting dish with foil or baking paper. Note the weight of the lamb in order to calculate the cooking time.
With a sharp knife, make 8-10 shallow cuts on the top of the leg. Mix together the wine, oil, basil and garlic and massage over the lamb*.
Roast in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes per 500g. In the last 30 minutes of cooking time, mix all the topping ingredients together and press onto the lamb. Return to the oven for the remaining cooking time.
Remove from the oven and rest for 20 minutes before carving.
* If time allows, prepare this stage the night before and marinate the meat overnight, bringing to room temperature before roasting.