Recipe: Braised Beef Brisket
You need to start a day ahead for this super tasty braise.
- 2 kg Beef Brisket
- 3 cloves Garlic, slivered
- 3 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 medium Onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 more medium Onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup of strong Espresso Coffee
- ½ cup of Water
- Salt + Pepper
- With a sharp knife, cut some slits in the meat and push slivered garlic into these slits Place the meat in a freezer bag and add the crushed garlic, onions and vinegar. Seal the bag, swish the marinade around until it coats the meat. Leave in the fridge overnight.
- To cook: remove the brisket from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels Discard the marinade. Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat the oil in a solid frying pan and seal one side of the brisket until brown, then turn and brown the other. Remove the meat to a platter and set aside.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook till just brown then add half the coffee. Bring to the boil, scraping up all the pan bits into the liquid. Transfer the mix into a roasting dish and set the browned brisket on top. Season well with salt and pepper, add the remaining coffee and the water. Cover with tinfoil.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the heat to 120C and cook for a further three hours until the meat is very tender.
- To serve: Carefully slice the meat across the grain and return it to the sauce to coat all the pieces. You can refrigerate the dish and reheat by covering with foil and cooking in a medium oven until it has has warmed through.
With thanks to the New Zealand Herald for the recipe.