Recipe: Chicken Wrapped with Bacon
- 100g tasty cheese, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- 8 rashers bacon or prosciutto
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup hot chicken stock
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 200g fresh green beans, halved
- 50g butter
- 1 bag fresh spinach, stems removed
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
1. Heat the oven to 200C. Mix the cheese and thyme, then season. Slice a pocket into each chicken breast and stuff with cheese mixture. Secure with a toothpick and wrap each breast in two rashers of bacon.
2. Bake the chicken in a roasting dish with the wine and stock for 25 to 30 minutes, basting until cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packet instructions and cook beans in boiling salted water for 4 minutes.
4. Heat butter in a large pan, add spinach and cover for 1 minute until wilted. Season with salt and pepper, then add drained rice, beans, lemon rind and stir through. Serve rice and vegetables with a chicken breast.
With thanks to New Zealand Woman’s Weekly for the recipe