Recipe: Thai Beef Noodle Salad
A quick and easy, but totally yummy meal for the warmer weather from NZ Beef and Lamb. Allyson Gofton is along to show us how and share some useful tips.
- Serves 4-5
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 500g Quality Mark rump steak, or 2 thick-cut sirloin or Scotch fillet steaks
Easy thai dressing
- ¼ C sweet chilli sauce
- ¼ C favourite vinaigrette
- grated rind and juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp Thai fish sauce, optional
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
Thai rice noodle salad
- 250 g egg or rice noodles
- ½ telegraph cucumber, halved and sliced
- 3-4 spring onions, trimmed and shredded
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- ¼ C fresh mint leaves
Trim the steak of excess fat and season with salt, pepper and a little oil. Pre-heat a grill or frying pan until very hot.
Add the steak and cook over a moderately high heat until beads of moisture appear on the top of the steak. Turn and cook for the same time on the other side. This will cook the steak to medium-rare. Allow an extra 5 minutes of total cooking time for medium. Set aside, covered to rest while preparing the salad.
Into screw-topped jar put the sweet chilli sauce, vinaigrette, lime or lemon rind and juice, fish sauce and coriander and shake well to combine.
Cook the egg noodles in rapidly boiling salted water for 10 minutes or until tender. If using rice noodles soak only in boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Drain noodles well and cut into shorter lengths.
Toss together the cucumber, spring onions, red pepper, red onion and mint leaves with all the salad ingredients. Add the noodles and dressing and arrange on a large serving platter.
Slice the beef across the grain into thin slices and arrange on top of the salad. Sprinkling with chopped honey roasted peanuts if wished before serving.