Recipe: Honey Glazed Barbecue Steaks
Now that the barbeque season is coming on tap, the time is right to try and be a little more adventurous with those steaks. Our thanks go to New Zealand Beef and Lamb for providing this scrumptious recipe.
• 2 whole Quality Mark beef skirt steaks or 750g top rump, fully trimmed
For the Marinade
• 3 Tbsp olive oil
• 3 Tbsp lemon juice
• ½ cup red wine
• 3 Tbsp tomato sauce
• 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
• 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
• 1 tsp ground cumin
For the Glaze
• 2 Tbsp liquid honey
• 2 Tbsp hoisin (or blackbean) sauce
• 2 Tbsp lemon juice
• 2 Tbsp wholegrain (or regular) prepared mustard
• 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
• 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Combine all the ingredients for marinade in a flat dish. Score the whole steaks in a light criss-cross pattern on both sides, and marinate in the fridge for 6-8 hours or overnight. Remove from the marinade, pat dry and bring to room temperature. Whisk together all the glaze ingredients. Brush this glaze over the meat.
Lightly oil the barbecue and grill the steaks for 3-5 minutes per side, over a high heat, applying further glaze as the meat cooks. Remove from the heat and cool before slicing very thinly across the grain. The beef should be pink (rare) inside with a crispy outer edge. Serve with your favourite salad ingredients, using any leftover glaze as a dressing.