Recipe: All-American Chicken Maryland Dinner
This golden-crumbed chicken dish is an American favourite; traditional accompaniments are corn fritters, bananas, grilled tomatoes. Colourful extra accompaniments are corn on the cob, bacon curls and pineapple rings, together with green salad.
- 6 Export Meat Warehouse Crumbed Chicken Maryland pieces
- 3 eggs
- 60ml (¼ cup) milk
- dry breadcrumbs
- 6 bananas
- 3 ripe tomatoes
- 3 rashers bacon
- 6 pineapple rings
- 6 cobs corn
- Corn fritters
- 75g (½ cup) plain flour
- 75g (½ cup) self-raising flour
- salt & pepper
- 1 egg, separated
- 60ml (¼ cup) milk
- 470g can whole kernel corn
1. Cut each peeled banana in half, coat with flour, then dip into combined beaten eggs and milk, and then coat firmly with breadcrumbs.
2. Place Chicken Maryland pieces one at a time into deep hot oil, fry until very light golden brown, approximately 8 minutes. Do not have oil too hot or chicken will brown too quickly and not cook through. Drain chicken on absorbent paper; repeat with remainder of chicken pieces.
3. Place cobs of corn into large saucepan of boiling water, reduce heat, simmer covered for 20 minutes or until tender; drain, keep warm. Meanwhile, prepare corn fritters: Place sifted flours and salt into bowl. Add egg-yolk, milk, pepper and drained corn; mix well. Beat egg-white until soft peaks form, fold into corn mixture. Drop tablespoonfuls of mixture into hot oil, fry until golden brown and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes; keep warm. Place crumbed bananas into hot oil, fry until golden brown; drain on absorbent paper; keep warm.
4. Return chicken pieces to very hot oil, fry quickly until dark golden brown, approximately 3 minutes; drain on absorbent paper, keep warm. Cut tomatoes in half. Cut each bacon rasher in half, roll up and secure with small wooden stick. Place tomatoes and bacon rolls under hot griller; grill until bacon rolls are crisp, and tomatoes are heated through. Place prepared chicken, bananas, corn, corn fritters, tomatoes, bacon rolls and pineapple slices on to serving plates. Serves six.